Friday, December 3, 2010

NoodleFood

NoodleFood

Link to NoodleFood

Reminder: Sunday's Rationally Selfish Webcast

Posted: 03 Dec 2010 03:19 PM PST

Come join my next "Rationally Selfish" webcast! It's on Sunday morning at 8 am PT / 9 am MT / 10 am CT / 11 am ET. You can watch the webcast and join in the text chat on the web page of Rationally Selfish. Greg Perkins of Objectivist Answers will be my audio co-host once again, and I'll be broadcasting from the snowy Rocky Mountains. (I'll be inside, happily!)

In the webcast, I answer questions on practical ethics and living well. Each week, I select the most popular and interesting questions from the queue. Please submit your questions, as well as vote and comment on questions that you find interesting. Here are the questions that I'll answer this week:
  • What's wrong with multiple sexual partners at a time? Why do you think that multiple romantic partners are psychologically destructive for everyone involved? What is it about romantic love that you think demands attention on one and only one other person?
  • Should I care what happens to the world after I die? Should I care about my friends and projects after I die? What about caring about humanity long after my death? Should that affect my actions today?
  • How can I procrastinate less? Often, I avoid doing unpleasant tasks for days or weeks, and I feel terrible about those delays. How can I motivate myself to just get those dreaded chores out of the way?
  • Should people call their parents-in-law "Mom" and "Dad"? (More details)
  • Can an Objectivist believe in God? Can a person be a theist and an Objectivist? Or is that too fundamental a conflict? If so, why?
  • From Objectivist Answers: Given the TSA's policies, is choosing to fly giving the sanction of the victim?
Questions that aren't answered this week will remain in the Rationally Selfish queue for me to answer in upcoming webcasts. So please go vote on anything not marked "scheduled" -- or submit your own question.

You can listen to these webcasts later as NoodleCast audio-only podcasts by subscribing in iTunes to either the enhanced M4A format or the standard MP3 format.

The live webcast is a good bit of fun, so I recommend that you stop by as your schedule permits. I appreciate the immediate feedback -- serious comments, funny comments, and follow-up questions -- in the text-based chat during the broadcast. It's a lively get-together!

Rebooting The Objectivism Seminar

Posted: 03 Dec 2010 07:00 AM PST

The Objectivism Seminar has been running strong since it started back in 2007, working (and yes, sometimes grinding) through several seminal Objectivist books over the course of more than 125 live sessions. Whew! That's a lot.

But now we're going to try something a little different: studying a wandering series of individual essays! How cool is that? Let me count the ways:
  1. It will be super-easy for folks to join the Seminar at any time -- and to participate sporadically!
  2. If one week's discussion doesn't sound so interesting, maybe the next week's will!
  3. Speaking of keeping it interesting: everyone gets to help choose what we'll study! (Just visit our Google Moderate page to make suggestions and vote on them. Feel free to lobby for anything from Rand's published anthologies, Robert Mayhew's collections of essays on Rand's novels, and articles published in The Objective Standard journal.)
  4. Different people will lead the sessions, depending on interest and expertise. So if one week's leader doesn't seem so interest.. nah, not an issue.
  5. Two words: Killer Podcasts. Yep, we're here to make your commute a spiritual experience. :^)
Other things you'll notice on our shiny new website are gems like an administrative email list you can join to stay in the loop -- and for those times when an hour of realtime discussion just isn't enough to get it all out, there is also a separate email list you can join for open discussion of anything and everything that's come up in the Seminar. (See the site's communication resources page for more on all that.)

Our live sessions resume on Monday (8:00pm Mountain) with a timely discussion of Rand's essay "Egalitarianism and Inflation" from Philosophy: Who Needs It, lead by grizzled and witty Seminar veteran Kyle Haight.

I hope you can join us for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment